As the Indiana Robotics Invitational is upon us, I cannot help but reflect on the 2013 FIRST FRC Game Ultimate Ascent. For those that have not watched the game animation in a while, I encourage you to take a minute and digest the animation knowing the outcome of the 2013 FRC Season.
What strikes me the most is that this is the only game that I have been apart of where there is still strategy being discussed on CD after the competition season is over. I have been apart of FIRST since 2003 and have always had my personal favorite 2004 FRC Game of FIRST Frenzy: Raising the Bar. However, looking back, this 2013 game might just be the best ever for me.
For me, some reasons include:
- Many different types of robot designs (Full Court Shooter, Cycler, Floor Pickup, Climber, Defense, etc.)
- A game difficult enough that most teams chose one main strategy
- A select few robots that were able to effectively accomplish multiple strategies
- Different strategies could be combined in various ways to win a match
- An endgame that was important but did not completely change the outcome of most matches
- A ranking system that made sense besides the years of Win-Loss-Tie record
- A wide open field with some hindrances
- A game piece never used before
- A field element never used before
What is your favorite FIRST FRC game? Is Ultimate Ascent near the top of your list?